Megan McGoldrick: Harvard Killer
by Tristan Hobbes
The Boston University women’s soccer team had not scored in a long, long time. The scoreless stretch had spanned 16 calendar days and nearly 445 minutes of play. The stretch included close calls and enough hit goal posts to last a season. One strike erased all the heartache and halted a scoreless stretch that had haunted the Terriers for the better part of a month.
In the 28th minute on Sunday, freshman Megan McGoldrick (’13) made her first collegiate goal a big one. We will let McGoldrick (’13) tell you how it happened. “(Sophomore midfielder) Jess Luscinski (’12) was driving down the sideline and she went to cross but it hit off of a Harvard defender. It just popped out to the top of the box and I was there and I one-timed it back post.”
As the ball wrinkled the twine, you could see the relief in the Terrier players. There was no big celebration from McGoldrick. Instead, she received smiles and hugs from her teammates. They were happy one of them was finally able to find the back of the net.
“It was definitely a lot more relief,” McGoldrick said. “I was just making sure I didn’t mess up or kick it over.”
And now for the stat you were all waiting for; the Terriers are now 3-0-0 when McGoldrick records a point. Her first two career assists set up game-winning goals against the University of Massachusetts and the University of Rhode Island and her first collegiate goal was Sunday’s game winner.
“To score and then let alone be the winning goal is a great feeling. I was just really happy that I could contribute.”
BU head coach Nancy Feldman had two good names for her after the game, “the unaffected freshman and the 'Harvard Killer.'”
“Her calmness and her composure; she doesn’t get rattled,” noted Feldman. “She is very precise. She can pick a corner and the game slows down for her.”
Labels: Jessica Luscinski, Megan McGoldrick, Nancy Feldman, Tristan Hobbes, Women's Soccer

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home