Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Frustration



by Tristan Hobbs

As I watched the first incarnation of, what is, the Boston University-Boston College rivalry unfold on the soccer pitch Wednesday night, I could only think of one word: frustrating.

Being a former athlete, I have been a part of many rivalries, but probably none as intense as the one that takes place between these two schools. I have wanted to win so badly that I didn't care what it took and when I lost I thought it was the end of the world. The good news for the Boston University women's soccer team is that it is not the end of the world.

Let us veer away from that for the time being and go back to the word frustrating. I was frustrated, not for myself, but for the Terriers women's soccer team. I know what is like to be in their shoes. I know what it feels like to take on a team that is supposedly better than you are, let alone the team that is right down the street.

On Wednesday night at the Newton Soccer Field, BU had its chances and BC made its mistakes but, all in all, the Terriers were just as good as the Eagles. The same Eagles who are ranked 16th in the country!

Like so many great games, one bad bounce can screw you. On Wednesday, it just so happened that senior keeper Janine Reilly's ('10) clearing attempt bounced off a BC forward who then knocked the ball into the empty net.

It was frustrating because BU could not get that same lucky bounce as the rebound from sophomore midfielder Jessica Luscinski’s ('12) shot lay in the six yard box, untouched, for what seemed like an eternity. That Casey Brown’s beautiful header hit the post and bounced away instead of hitting an inch to the right and bouncing into the net.

This is, however, just the beginning. This only the third game of the season and if the team can learn from this they will be better.

As senior midfielder and tri-Captain Emily Pallotta ('10) noted after the game; "I think even though it was a 2-0 loss it will reflect a lot more when we meet opponents that are as talented as they are and as challenging physically."

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home