Dimirdjian Leads Terriers Past Binghamton

BU wins 11th Consecutive AE Game
by Tristan Hobbes
Senior forward Taleen Dimirdjian (’10) scored her first two collegiate goals and sophomore Jessica Luscinski (’12) added two assists to lead the Boston University Terriers women’s soccer team (1-0-0 5-4-1) to a 3-0 victory over the Binghamton University Bearcats (0-1-0 3-4-1) Sunday afternoon at Nickerson Field.
BU, winners of three straight and undefeated at home (5-0-0), has defeated the Bearcats in eight of nine games in the series. The Terriers stretched their America East regular season win streak to 10 and their overall AE win streak to 14 games dating back to October 28, 2007. Binghamton had a three game winning streak snapped.
Dimirdjian (’10) scored her first career goal just five minutes in and added an insurance marker in the 53rd minute. On Thursday, Dimirdjian had what looked to be her first goal called back because of a foul in the box. Sunday, Dimirdjian redirected a corner from Luscinski (’12) off the left post and in for her first goal in 48 career games.
“I am just really excited,” was Dimirdjian’s reaction after the game. “I am just really happy for myself because I have been digging deep. I wanted to score for my team.”
Junior Corie Halasz (’11) made it 2-0 in the 16th minute as she ripped a shot to the upper ninety. Luscinski played the BU corner short and Halasz ('11) made one move, turned and placed her strike perfectly in the top corner. The Terriers had not scored off of a corner kick this year but the first two goals Sunday came via the corner.
Another pretty goal from Dimirdjian and a staunch Terriers defense closed the door in the second half. Dimirdjian was in the right place at the right time as she one-touched senior midfielder Emily Pallotta’s (’10) redirected shot into the back of the net. BU’s defense allowed just four Binghamton shots on the afternoon and senior goalie Janie Reilly (’10) needed to make just two saves to pick up her second shutout of the season.
“I thought it was a close game, except the score” was head coach Nancy Feldman’s reaction to Sunday’s AE opener. “I thought we were good in our finishing moments but I didn’t think we had a good tempo.”
The Terriers will continue their America East slate on Thursday (October 1) when they travel to New Hampshire for a 3 p.m. start. Coach Feldman and her team will hope to improve their tempo and keep the momentum going on the road where they are 0-4-2 on the year.
Labels: Corie Halasz, Emily Pallotta, Janie Reilly, Jessica Luscinski, Nancy Feldman, Taleen Dimirdjian, Tristan Hobbes, Women's Soccer

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home